(Photo by Lucy Shaeffer)
Chock-full of mouthwatering color and zingy flavor, this detox salad with lemon chia dressing lives up to the name of the new cookbook Joy Bauer’s Superfood.
“I developed this salad as sort of a ‘day after’ cleanse,” says Bauer, a registered dietitian who’s best known as the popular health and nutrition expert on NBC’s The Today Show. “It’s intended to help you reset and refresh after a long weekend of indulgence, a vacation or a food-filled holiday stretch.”
Packed with filling fiber, anti-inflammatory antioxidants and healthy fats, “it’s a bowl full of pure goodness,” Bauer promises. “Yes, there’s a fair amount of chopping, but you can substitute pre-chopped or shredded veggies and bagged salad mix. Either way, you can store the dressing and salad fixings separately to toss salads as needed throughout the week. This makes a great lunch option!”
[Reprinted from Joy Bauer’s Superfood!: 150 Recipes for Eternal Youth. Copyright © 2020 by Joy Bauer. Photography by Lucy Schaeffer. Published by ABRAMS.]
Detox Salad with Lemon-Chia Dressing
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 4 cups packed stemmed kale leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 8 oz Brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2–3 cups finely chopped broccoli florets
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ½ cup pumpkinseed kernels
- 1 avocado, sliced
- In a small bowl, whisk mustard and water until emulsified. Add chia seeds; whisk. Add juice, oil, salt and pepper; whisk to combine. If chia seeds clump together; let dressing stand 5 minutes and stir. Dressing will become smoother and thicker as it stands.
- In a large bowl, combine kale, carrots, Brussels sprouts, broccoli and cabbage. Refrigerate in a sealed container and build each salad when you’re ready to eat.
- To assemble, transfer 2 cups veggie mixture and 2 Tbsp dressing to a plate. Top with 2–3 Tbsp blueberries, 1 Tbsp pumpkinseed kernels and a few slices avocado. Drizzle with more dressing, if desired.
Serves 7. 250 cal, 9 g protein, 17 g fat (2.5 g sat fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 21 g carbs, 9 g fiber, 7 g sugar (0 g added sugar), 210 mg sodium